Describe your role, and briefly your background / experience of living and working in other countries.
– I am an industrial PhD Student, funded by my company to carry out research in collaboration with The University of Gothenburg and Chalmers University. Additionally I also help with the product development of new product.
What expectations did you have before moving to Sweden?
– I thought learning the language and intergration into society would be the hardest part, along with the weather – compared to Australia where I was wokring and living before moving to Sweden and India where I am born and raised.
How did it turn out?
– I think it went very well for me. Of course it was hard work in the beginining, but with the help tools avaible in regards to laguage courses, help to get internships and open minded people, it made the process much easier.
What is the best thing about living in Sweden?
– The quality of life available and that family life is equally important to having a carrier. I love the way how people in Sweden work hard – productive working – but when it comes to looking after and having time with their family they do that equally well. You dont have to choose which one to focus more on, since there is time for both.
Would you recommend others to move here?
– Yes, i think I would! My answer would have been different mabye 2 years into living here but now after being here 5 years I am well settled and can call this home!
What do you think of Sweden in regard to equality and other social aspects?
– Sweden is a very forward and developed country when it comes to equality. With the ”Parent leave” available for both parents and the fact that the society encourages both parents to take up their responsibility of raising children. The way children are brougth up to be kind, firm but accepting, happy, nature loving and self sufficient is amazing!
– They follow rules as intended and respect for all people equally. Child care, education, healthcare is very advanced compared to around the world.
In your opinion, which is the most beautiful place in Sweden?
– I am in love with Gothenburg. It is a smaller city but still so much to offer in terms of culture, restaurants, parks etc. Stockholm although may be bigger and parts more beautiful, Gothenburg is the perect size a cozy city with lots to offer.
Which is the best Swedish tradition?
– All the little traditions linked to Christmas are my favourite. From the Christmas food, to gathering together and celebrating, cooking and eating together!